Check out this post from the Novelty Revisions blog with some hindsight for a younger author.
1. It’s not a race.
2. When people hire you, they won’t care that you didn’t get published before you were 21 or whatever.
3. Stop trying to write like Laurie Halse Anderson. She’s amazing, but calm down.
4. That John Green guy you just discovered will literally change your life.
5. Your friends aren’t just being polite. They really do like the way you write.
6. When someone compliments your work, thank them. But keep in touch with them after the fact.
7. That boy doesn’t deserve to be the MC’s crush in your book and you know it.
8. You don’t have to be good at everything. It’s OK to be average at most things, and exceptional at one.
9. Do your homework. There will be plenty of time for writing when you’re done.
10. That blog you’re thinking about starting? You won’t regret it.
11. DON’T. STOP…
View original post 136 more words